Pages

Sunday 28 August 2016

Sunday Post


As August comes to a close so must my half-hearted summer hiatus. Which, as mentioned in my last post, has been less about relaxing and more about devoting a little more time to some long-standing projects. 

One of these projects was my reimagining of Anne_Lee's, 'Un Viaje'. A beautifully intimate and tender rendition of a Spanish poem written by Anne's friend, Nono. Anne came to me with a new recording. A striped down duet in a similar vein to her original. Not wanting to repeat herself, she requested that I use my usual sounds, instruments and effects to create something new. 

Not speaking a word of Spanish meant I was solely working from the mood and tones in Anne's performance. So, I did my best to compliment (and in some cases contrast) the material in hand. When I finally got 'round to reading the translated lyrics, I was surprised to find that "un viaje" means "a journey". A title fitting of a piece that musically meanders in and out of styles and temperament.

'Un Viaje', will be released tomorrow via SoundCloud.



With this being my first proper post in a while, I thought now would be a best time to play catch-up and share the three tracks that came out during the summer.

Firstly, a song from Froxie's collaborative roof dub EP, 'DEM NO GOOD', which I was lucky enough to appear on. Not only is Froxie's sense of groove and impeccable mixing skills apparent here, but it also includes my 'Wou-Wou' vocal debut.

The EP (which I thoroughly recommend) is available here, and features the talents of MOAG, Sofia DeVille, Senfsuck, An Di Yi, Cranky Fox and The Couch King



Speaking of The Couch King, our track, 'Dedication To The Hypocrites' came out last weekend. Not only it is a dream come true to be on the same track as Couch, pretzels malone and Jam York, but it's also pretty nice to have been able to put an old bassline to good use. It's a warm and positive song that feels perfectly apt to end the summer on. 



The last track in this trio is also warm and positive, but musically couldn't be further from either of the above. Janine and the Problem's, 'Baby, I'm In Love With You', is a rock 'n' pop song that I helped finish off. It was a real treat to play along to. A real feast for the ears, with so many great sounds and polyphonic melodies. Sure, my part in this is minimal, but I'm proud to be in here. 



Before I go, I'd like to mention that new artwork is on the way, along with new prints and old originals being available from Society6 and Big Cartel. More info next Sunday.

Happy thoughts, 


- The Wormling

No comments:

Post a Comment